Friday, January 20, 2023

Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.9

For context please be sure to read the previous chapter, Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.8

The full list of this Last Tango in Halifax fan fic episodes can be found in Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction.


FAR SLACK FARM. LATE AFTERNOON.

Caroline walks to the barn where Gillian is.

CAROLINE
Hi Gillian! (notices Gillian’s not alone)

GILLIAN
Hiya, Caroline! This is Adrian. He introduced me to artificial insemination.

CAROLINE
(whispers to Gillian) I hope you mean for the sheep.

GILLIAN
(murmurs) Like I can afford another mouth to feed.

CAROLINE
Right.

Adrian is crouched taking a blood sample from a sheep. He looks up.

ADRIAN
Hi. How d’you do? Sorry I…

CAROLINE
No, don’t get up.

Adrian resumes taking blood samples.

CAROLINE (to Gillian)
(mouths) He’s cute.

GILLIAN (to Caroline)
(mouths) I know! (eyes wide, fans herself)

Adrian stands up. Caroline and Gillian act normal.

ADRIAN
All right! I’ve got enough blood samples. Let me take these to the lab, and let you know in a few days.

GILLIAN
Great!

ADRIAN
I’d better be off. I’ll try to get these in the lab before they close for the day. It was nice meeting you, Caroline.

CAROLINE
Same here.

Adrian leaves.

CAROLINE
Thanks for picking up Flora.

GILLIAN
It’s no trouble. I had to pick up Calamity too.

CAROLINE
I had to stay late at school.

GILLIAN
Another school inspection?

CAROLINE
No, nothing like that. Ruth’s producing a school play.

GILLIAN
Is she?

CAROLINE
Yes, she’s been wonderful…with the students. She’s really got them engaged. The students appreciate and love her for it.

GILLIAN
By the way, how was your lunch with Charlie and her dad?

CAROLINE
Disastrous.

GILLIAN
Was it really?

CAROLINE
I was startled by how young her father is. He doesn’t seem much older than I.

GILLIAN
Maybe he just has that boyish look. Like Adrian.

CAROLINE
Tell me about Adrian. Where did you find him?

GILLIAN
Farm school, but we’ll talk about Adrian later. Why was your lunch disastrous?

CAROLINE
Charlie’s dad cooked vindaloo, and I bit into a clove.

GILLIAN
Are you allergic to clove?

CAROLINE
No, but my filling fell. He’s a dentist.

GILLIAN
(laughs) I see where this is going.

CAROLINE
Of course, he had to fix my tooth.

GILLIAN
Where’s Charlie in all of this?

CAROLINE
Just there, more like an observer. She adores her father, and he worships her.

GILLIAN
I see.

CAROLINE
So we were in his office. Charlie wasn’t. She was tasked to clear the dining table. It was all perfunctory until he tells me not to hurt Charlie.

GILLIAN
Oh…I guess he’s just being protective of her.

CAROLINE
I suppose so. It was just nerve-racking.

GILLIAN
What did you say?

CAROLINE
I said I would never hurt her. I think the world of her. I’m crazy about Charlie, you know?

GILLIAN
You’re welcome!

CAROLINE
Right…I’m forever grateful.

GILLIAN
Forever’s a mighty long time. Who said that?

CAROLINE
Prince. (remembers Kate with a sad thoughtfulness)

CAROLINE’S HOUSE, DINING ROOM. EVENING.

Caroline, Charlie, and Flora are having dinner.

CAROLINE
Thanks for buying dinner. (gives Charlie a quick kiss)

CHARLIE
You’re welcome. Long day?

CAROLINE
Yes. I had to stay and watch rehearsals of the school play.

CHARLIE
That’s no fun.

CAROLINE
They’re actually quite good. Ruth’s done a marvelous job. She has been amazing. Ruth, you’ve met her. She was at Helen’s cousin’s wedding.

CHARLIE
Yes, I remember. (she’s very much aware of who Ruth is)

CAROLINE
They’re doing Othello.

CHARLIE
That’s uncommon.

CAROLINE
Yes, it is. It’s why I’m excited about this play. Ruth also managed to motivate this troublesome student. A delinquent. He was expelled from his previous school.

CHARLIE
He probably found an outlet for his emotions in drama.

CAROLINE
He’s playing the titular role.

CHARLIE
Quite appropriate if he’s feeling like an outsider.

CAROLINE
Right. He’s not the only one who has come to love Ruth.

CHARLIE
(mutters) I can see that.

CAROLINE
Even the kids not in the play appreciate her, and I’m really amazed at how Ruth made this school play fresh, thrilling…coruscating.

CHARLIE
(sarcastic) Give her an Olivier then.

CAROLINE
(senses Charlie’s annoyance) Ruth’s my head of English.

CHARLIE
(snarky) Is that of historical importance?

CAROLINE
No. It’s just that she has always wanted to teach Shakespeare at a school like Crow Wood Park. Doing that effectively and inspiring problematic students along the way is a feat.

CHARLIE
Wow, she’s a latter-day Mr. Thackeray. (she realizes she’s being childish)

FLORA
Who’s Mr. Thackeray?

CHARLIE
He’s a character in a movie, pumpkin.

Caroline (addresses Flora): Are you done, chicken?

FLORA
Yes, Mummy.

CAROLINE
Go brush your teeth. I’ll tuck you in shortly.

FLORA
Could I listen to Happy first?

CAROLINE
Again? We listened to it repeatedly the entire drive home.

CHARLIE
What’s Happy?

CAROLINE
It’s a song from the animated film she’s been watching.

FLORA
Can I listen to it again, please? It warms my heart.

Caroline and Charlie chuckle.

CAROLINE
All right, but just once then off to bed.

FLORA
Yay!

CAROLINE
Let me just clean up, and I’ll set it up on the speakers.

CHARLIE
I’ll set it up.

CAROLINE
Thanks.

Charlie and Flora make their way to the living room.

Flora (to Charlie): I know how to set it up.

CHARLIE
Good! Because I don’t.

Charlie and Flora laugh. Caroline is pleased to see how close Flora and Charlie have become. She puts the dishes in the dishwasher. Pharrell Williams’ Happy can be heard from the living room. Caroline hears Flora and Charlie giggling, and could see glimpses of them dancing. She finishes cleaning and stands by the living room doorway enjoying the sight of Flora and Charlie dancing. Charlie sees Caroline, and she lures her to dance with them.

CHARLIE
(whispers to Caroline) I’m sorry about earlier.

CAROLINE
It’s fine.

CHARLIE
I was being childish.

CAROLINE
Yes, you were.

CHARLIE
I apologize for my behavior.

CAROLINE
It’s forgotten. (gives Charlie a peck on the lips)

PHARRELL (on speakers)
Because I'm happy, clap along if you know what happiness is to you…

Caroline starts dancing. Flora is thrilled to see her mum dancing. Their mirth fills the house. The doorbell rings.

CAROLINE
Who could that be?

Caroline answers the door while Flora and Charlie dance with each other.

CAROLINE
Ruth!

RUTH
Caroline, I’m sorry to drop in unexpectedly.

CAROLINE
Are you all right?

RUTH
My husband threw me out of the house.

CAROLINE
Oh, I’m sorry.

RUTH
And I don’t know where else to go.

CAROLINE
Come in. Come in.

RUTH
(hears music and giggling) Are you having a party?

CAROLINE
Oh no. That’s just Charlie and Flora dancing.

Caroline brings Ruth to the living room. Charlie is happily dancing while carrying a delighted Flora. She sees Caroline and Ruth.

CHARLIE
Oh hi…Ruth. (turns off the music)

CAROLINE
All right. Party’s over. Go brush your teeth, chicken.

CHARLIE
I’ll go tuck her in.

FLORA
Goodnight, Mummy. (gives Caroline a kiss then addresses Ruth) Goodnight, Mr. Thackeray.

CHARLIE
(snickers, puts Flora down) Let’s go, Flora.

Charlie and Flora go upstairs.

RUTH
Mr. Thackeray?

CAROLINE
Oh, it’s just something she picked up recently. Please take a seat. Would you like some tea?

Ruth breaks down and cries.

CAROLINE
Oh no. (instinctively hugs and consoles her) What happened? Did he hurt you?

RUTH
No. Not physically. He accused me of tampering with his car.

CAROLINE
Blimey. It has gotten that far? Why won’t you stay here the night?

RUTH
Thank you, Caroline. I’m sorry I’m intruding like this.

CAROLINE
Don’t worry about it. It’s my job to care. Let’s get you settled in the spare room.

Caroline and Ruth go upstairs. Caroline shows her the spare room.

CAROLINE
You can stay here. I’ll show you where the linens are. Let me check on Flora first.

RUTH
Yes, of course.

Caroline enters Flora’s room. Charlie is snuggled up with Flora while reading to her.

CAROLINE
Hi, chicken.

FLORA
(drowsily) Hi, Mummy.

CAROLINE
I see you’re nice and cozy here. (gives Flora a kiss, addresses Charlie) Ruth will be staying with us tonight.

CHARLIE
Is she all right?

CAROLINE
Not really. I’ll tell you later. Let me just get her settled in the spare room.

CHARLIE
Okay.

CAROLINE
Have you put your things in our room?

CHARLIE
Oh, right. Let me just finish this story...(notices Flora has fallen asleep, kisses her on the head, gently leaves her bed)

CAROLINE
All right then. I should get back to Ruth.

CHARLIE
Right.

Caroline looks adoringly at Charlie and kisses her tenderly. She returns to the spare room, while Charlie goes downstairs to fetch her things.

CAROLINE
Oh! I see you’ve found the linens.

RUTH
Yes, I hope you don’t mind. (starts making the bed)

CAROLINE
No, I don’t. I’m sure you’re tired and shaken. Let me help you with that.

RUTH
I can’t thank you enough, Caroline. You’ve been so kind and accommodating.

Caroline and Ruth come face-to-face while fixing the bed. Ruth kisses Caroline, and she returns it. Charlie pops her head in the door that was left ajar.

CHARLIE
Caroline, I’m needed at…(sees the two locked in a kiss)

A startled Caroline pushes Ruth away.

CAROLINE
Charlie!

Charlie rushes down the stairs. Caroline follows her.

CAROLINE
Charlie!

CHARLIE
Flora’s sleeping. (hurriedly puts on her coat)

CAROLINE
(lowers her voice) I’m so sorry.

Caroline puts her hand on Charlie’s shoulder, but she shrugs it away.

CAROLINE
I don’t know what came over me. Where are you going?

Charlie puts on her scarf.

CAROLINE
(voice starts to break) Charlie, please say something.

CHARLIE
I’m needed at work.

CAROLINE
Shouldn’t we talk about this?

CHARLIE
(voice breaking) I have to go. (grabs her things, holds back tears)

CAROLINE
(on the verge of crying) Please don’t leave.

Charlie sobs, but she tries her best to hide it from Caroline. She doesn’t want Caroline to see how the incident has broken her. Unbeknownst to her, Caroline has seen and heard her weeping. Charlie walks out the door without looking at Caroline.

Read continuation in the next Last Tango in Halifax fan fiction episode: Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.10

0 Comments: