Thursday, January 19, 2023

Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.8

For context please be sure to read the previous chapter, Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.7

The full list of this Last Tango in Halifax fan fic episodes can be found in Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction.


Three months later…

CHARLIE’S MINI COOPER. MORNING.

Charlie is driving with Caroline to Manchester

CHARLIE
What are you so nervous about?

CAROLINE
Erm…meeting your father.

CHARLIE
What’s so frightening about that? You had me meet your entire family including your ex-husband.

CAROLINE
I’m not as brave as you are.

CHARLIE
It’s not like we’re getting engaged. (discomfited at having raised a subject she’s not ready to discuss) It’s just dinner.

CAROLINE
Maybe it’s that. The last time I’ve had to meet a parent was when John and I got engaged.

CHARLIE
You didn’t meet Kate’s parents?

CAROLINE
Well, her father has Alzheimer’s and her mum lives in New York. We got married quickly for Flora. I’ve only met Kate’s mum at her…funeral. (pensive)

CHARLIE
(holds Caroline’s hand) Gosh, you really are nervous. Your hand’s sweaty.

CAROLINE
I should’ve put deodorant on my hands. (scours inside her handbag)

CHARLIE
What are you looking for?

CAROLINE
Protection.

CHARLIE
Relax it’s just my dad. He’s only a dentist.

CAROLINE
No one ever looks forward to seeing a dentist.

CHARLIE
What can he do to you?

CAROLINE
An unanesthetized root canal comes to mind. What do I even call your dad? Dr. Gallagher?

CHARLIE
Call him Sir.

CAROLINE
Sir Gallagher. Seriously?

CHARLIE
Yeah, he was knighted for exceptional achievement in pulling teeth. (chuckles)

CAROLINE
You’re not helping.

CHARLIE
Just call him Richard. (glances at Caroline, and notices she’s tense; she holds her hand) You’re going to be fine. Just stay away from dad’s dental chair at all costs. (laughs)

ALAN AND CELIA’S HOUSE, SUNROOM. MORNING.

Alan and Celia are drinking tea in their sunroom. You could hear Flora giggling in the living room where she’s watching an animated film.

ALAN
Did you say Caroline and Charlie are driving to Manchester to meet Charlie’s parents?

CELIA
Just Charlie’s father. Her mother died when she was twelve.

ALAN
Oh, poor girl. (drinks tea) Driving all that way to meet the father. Do you think they’re getting engaged?

CELIA
I don’t know. Caroline hasn’t said anything.

ALAN
Charlie’s a lovely girl. I can see how happy she makes Caroline. I just hope she doesn’t break Caroline’s heart. It was excruciating seeing her lose Kate.

CELIA
It crushed her heart into smithereens, but it’s more likely for Caroline to break Charlie’s heart.

ALAN
Oh, how so?

CELIA
Kate’s death was devastating. How does one work through it?

ALAN
We both lost our spouses. We moved on.

CELIA
I’d like to say we’re special (smiles at Alan, gives him a kiss), but Caroline and Kate were only together five minutes. They never got past the honeymoon stage.

ALAN
Literally. I see what you mean.

CELIA
Charlie has her work cut out for her.

ALAN
Indeed. How did I ever end up with a clever wife?

CELIA
It was fate.

Celia and Alan kiss and hold hands.

CHARLIE’S FATHER’S HOUSE. NOON.

Charlie rings the doorbell of her father’s house. While waiting, she leans to kiss Caroline who demurs.

CAROLINE
No! Not in front of your father.

CHARLIE
He’s not here yet, and he wouldn’t mind.

Richard Gallagher, a man in his mid-sixties, opens the front door.

RICHARD
Charlie! My prodigal daughter returns.

Richard hugs her daughter tight. Caroline is taken aback at how young he looks; he doesn’t seem much older than her.

RICHARD
You must be Caroline!

CAROLINE
How d’you do, Dr. Gallagher?

RICHARD
Call me Richard! (gives Caroline a warm hug) Come in! Come in! You must be famished. I hope you like Indian food. I made chicken vindaloo.

CHARLIE
Vindaloo?

RICHARD
Yeah, I saw it on YouTube.

CHARLIE
YouTube? Are you going through a crisis of some sort?

RICHARD
Ha-ha! That was a decade ago.

CHARLIE
So, we’re not having my favorite dish?

RICHARD
We have a guest, peanut. I don’t think Caroline would appreciate me serving black pudding. It’s an acquired taste even for us Northerners.

CHARLIE
And vindaloo isn’t? I guess we’ll be drinking more milk than wine today.

RICHARD
Not to worry. This is the authentic Goan version. It’s not supposed to be too spicy. It’s just vinegar, garlic, and some spices. (turns to Caroline) You’re not allergic to anything are you?

CAROLINE
Me? Oh no, no, and I like the sweet and tangy vindaloo. I also find the Portuguese influence fascinating.

RICHARD
Brilliant!

TEACHING FARM. NOON.

The farmhands and staff are having lunch. Gillian spots Adrian.

GILLIAN
Dr. Murray! (sits beside him)

ADRIAN
Please call me Adrian.

GILLIAN
You know I was just kidding about the doctor stuff the first time we met.

ADRIAN
Don’t worry about it. What can I do for you, Gillian?

GILLIAN
I was thinking about using AI on me ewes. I’ve got a sheep farm.

ADRIAN
Oh, you do?

GILLIAN
Yes, in Halifax. This gig is just something I do to help ends meet.

ADRIAN
I see.

GILLIAN
It beats working at t’supermarket. So…how do we start breeding? (she manages to make it sound like something else)

ADRIAN
(oblivious) Are you sure about this?

GILLIAN
Uh-huh.

ADRIAN
We can’t go about it lightly. We need to be careful.

GILLIAN
I’ll be prepared.

ADRIAN
I have a strict routine.

GILLIAN
I’ll follow your lead.

ADRIAN
First, I need to take blood samples.

GILLIAN
We hardly know each other.

Adrian looks lost.

GILLIAN
That was a joke.

CHARLIE’S FATHER’S HOUSE. NOON.

Caroline, Charlie, and Richard are in the middle of their meal.

RICHARD
Caroline, Charlie tells me you’re a headteacher at a state school.

CAROLINE
Yes, I am, Dr. Gallagher.

RICHARD
Just call me Richard. She’s the doctor in the family.

CAROLINE
(perplexed) Huh?

Richard (to Charlie): You didn’t tell her?

CHARLIE
It’s irrelevant.

Caroline (to Charlie): You’re a physician?

CHARLIE
Only by training.

RICHARD
A decade’s worth of training only not to practice.

CHARLIE
Dad, we’ve been having the same discussion since I was twelve. We agreed back then you’d let me be a paramedic if I’d go to med school. I even agreed to do the core training.

RICHARD
I know. I know. I was only teasing. You know I’m proud of you, peanut. (touches the tip of Charlie’s nose just like a father does to a small child)

CHARLIE
Now, you’re just embarrassing me.

RICHARD
Sorry, I’m not used to meeting your friends. The last time you introduced me to one was decades ago.

CHARLIE
(nervous) Huh? (defensive) I don’t recall introducing you to a friend.

Caroline’s intrigued.

RICHARD
I remember it like yesterday. You said you have a boyfriend, and dragged Mike from the sand pit. You were five. You two were so cute! (pinches Charlie’s cheek)

CHARLIE
Argh! Stop embarrassing me! This is why I don’t bring friends over.

RICHARD
(laughs) Caroline, I’ve been told you have kids. You’d know how I feel.

CAROLINE
Oh yes, yes.

RICHARD
Would any of your kids like to take over my dental practice?

CHARLIE
Whoa! Aren’t we getting ahead of ourselves here?

RICHARD
It’s just a desperate plea from a father wanting to leave a legacy.

CAROLINE
Well, let’s see, William, my eldest is squeamish. My second son, Lawrence, is more likely to pull all your teeth just for laughs. Which leaves us with Flora.

RICHARD
She’s your daughter with your late wife?

CAROLINE
Yes. Flora’s only five, but of the three, she’s your best bet.

RICHARD
Let’s hope I live until 90 then. How’s your vindaloo?

CAROLINE
It’s delectable! I can lick the sauce off the bowl. (scoops the last piece of chicken with ample sauce, takes a bite, there’s a perceptible cracking sound) Ow!

CHARLIE
Are you all right?

Caroline nods unconvincingly.

RICHARD
You don’t look all right. I must have missed one of those cloves; little buggers. Not to worry! I’m a dentist. Let’s go to my office and take a look.

CAROLINE
(her hand on her cheek) No, I’m fine, really.

RICHARD
Come, come, no guest of mine is leaving my house with a toothache. It’s bad for business. (chuckles, leads Caroline to his office)

CHARLIE
Dad, would you like me to assist you?

RICHARD
No, but it would be great if you clear the table. I’ll get Caroline fixed in time for dessert.

Caroline looks at Charlie helplessly.

CHARLIE (mouths)
You’re gonna be fine.

RICHARD’S DENTAL OFFICE. AFTERNOON.

Richard holds the door for Caroline.

RICHARD
Take a seat. Make yourself comfortable.

Richard starts washing his hands. Hands Caroline a cup of mouthwash.

RICHARD
You can rinse your mouth with this. There’s a button on that spittoon if you want to dilute it with water.

Caroline does as she has been told. Richard dons his gown, mask, and gloves then attends to Caroline.

RICHARD
Okay, let’s take a look. Say aaah!

CAROLINE
Aaah!

RICHARD
It looks like your filling fell. Hmmm…when was the last time you went to see a dentist? And I don’t mean when you brought your kids.

CAROLINE
I can’t remember.

RICHARD
Let me do a bitewing. See if any of your other teeth need filling.

CAROLINE
Is that necessary?

RICHARD
Not to worry. I won’t charge you.

CAROLINE
It’s not thaaa…

Before Caroline knows it, Richard has the plastic sensor in her mouth. He positions the X-ray unit near her face, and takes an X-ray.

CAROLINE
(speaks unintelligibly) Why do they make these things so uncomfortable?

RICHARD
Caroline, don’t move. We’d have to redo.

CAROLINE
(mutters) Sorry.

Richard repositions the plastic sensor in Caroline’s mouth.

RICHARD
No harm done. Let’s do that again. Don’t make any movements. (takes X-ray) You know Charlie’s very fond of you.

Caroline is about to answer but remembers she’s not supposed to move. Richard removes the plastic sensor and places it on another side of her mouth before Caroline could speak.

RICHARD
I’ve never seen her so happy. (takes another X-ray, repositions plastic sensor in Caroline’s mouth, becomes serious, and looks Caroline in the eye) You are not to hurt her. (takes X-ray, removes plastic sensor from Caroline’s mouth)

CAROLINE
I would never hurt her. I think the world of Charlie.

Caroline is surprised and troubled by her admission.

RICHARD
Good. She’s the only one I got. Now, let’s fix your tooth.

A drill makes a whirring sound. Caroline looks horrified.

Read continuation in the next Last Tango in Halifax fan fiction episode: Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.9

0 Comments: