Sunday, January 21, 2024

Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.10

TV Script

For context please be sure to read the previous chapter, Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.9

The full list of this Last Tango in Halifax fan fic episodes can be found in Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction.

A WEEK LATER…

CELIA & ALAN’S HOUSE. LATE AFTERNOON.

Caroline leads Gillian to Celia and Alan’s bedroom. Celia is sitting up on the bed with her left foot in a plaster.

CAROLINE
Mum! You’ve got a visitor.

CELIA
A visitor? I’ve not put my face on. (struggles to get out of bed and fails)

GILLIAN
Don’t worry, Celia. It’s just me.

CAROLINE
Gillian’s brought you these lovely flowers. (she replaces some dead flowers with Gillian’s fresh flowers)

CELIA (to Gillian)
Thanks, love.

GILLIAN
How’re you feeling, Celia?

CELIA
Like an invalid. This plaster is such a bother. (accusatory) If not for that stupid seed pod on Caroline’s driveway…

CAROLINE
Well, I couldn’t have swept all the seed pods, could I?

GILLIAN
(to Celia) Are you in pain?

CELIA
No, just itchy. (scratches the inside of her plaster with a ruler)

CAROLINE AND GILLIAN
Start murmuring.

CAROLINE
Believe it or not she’s already high in painkillers in that state.

GILLIAN
Me dad said they took her off Vicodin.

CAROLINE
Oh yeah after she strangled Alan. She thought she was being attacked by a large, vicious dog.

GILLIAN
And Celia’s response is to strangle this large, vicious dog?

CAROLINE
Yeah, are you even surprised? Anyway, she’s now on Percocet.

CELIA
What are you two mumbling about?

CAROLINE
(normal voice) Go on and watch your telly, Mum. Gillian and I will just be in the living room. Holler if you need anything.

GILLIAN
Get well soon, Celia.

CAROLINE AND GILLIAN
Make their way to the living room.

GILLIAN
How are you and Charlie?

CAROLINE
She hasn’t been answering my calls or texts.

GILLIAN
Do you miss her?

CAROLINE
Miss her? I’ll tell you something. I was in casualty with me mum and all I could think about is bumping into Charlie.

GILLIAN
So why aren’t you kicking down her door?

CAROLINE
Well, because I’m here.

GILLIAN
Thanks for helping me dad by the way.

CAROLINE
I feared he’d leave me mum with her being the way she is. She’s not the most pleasant patient in the world.

GILLIAN
How about I relieve you of your duties now so you can go see Charlie?

CAROLINE
She’d be at work.

GILLIAN
Tomorrow then.

GILLIAN
What’s that?

CAROLINE
Oh, that would be Lady Bracknell. She’s learned online shopping, and bought a bell from Amazon.

GILLIAN
You’re kidding! Did she buy you a French maid’s uniform too?

CAROLINE
Yeah, it’s straight out of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. You’ll need it tomorrow when you take over.

CELIA
(impatiently rings bell) Caroline!

CAROLINE
Coming, Mum!

CHARLIE’S FLAT. AFTERNOON.

It’s the next day. Caroline is about to ring Charlie’s doorbell when the door opens.

RICHARD
(carrying a box) Oh, it’s you.

CAROLINE
Dr. Gallagher…

RICHARD
Didn’t I tell you not to hurt my daughter?

CAROLINE
Yes, Doctor, Sir…that’s why I’m here…to make amends.

CHARLIE
(rummaging through a box she’s carrying) Dad, do you have the packaging ta…(looks up, sees Caroline) Caroline.

RICHARD (to Charlie)
I’ll be at the van.(makes his way to the van)

CAROLINE
Can we talk?

CHARLIE
What is there to talk about?

CAROLINE
I know I’ve made a terrible mistake. (remorseful) I wasn’t thinking. I was reacting. I assure you it’s just the one time.

CHARLIE
It’s hard enough knowing I can’t replace Kate not that I would want to. You had a good life together. I wouldn’t want to erase that, but I hoped I could give you something else.

CAROLINE
You have!

CHARLIE
Then there’s John.

CAROLINE
John?

CHARLIE
I understand he’ll always be a part of you.

CAROLINE
He doesn’t have to be.

CHARLIE
He’s the father of your sons, but must you always accede to his pleas?

CAROLINE
I didn’t realize I was…appeasing John.

CHARLIE
(frustrated more than angry) And I never would have thought I l’d have to compete with Ruth! Couldn’t she have stayed in a hotel?

CAROLINE
She wasn’t looking for a place to stay. She was looking for a friend.

CHARLIE
(snarky) Well, she got a lot more than a friend.

Silence.

CAROLINE
Fair enough. I don’t know how else to show you how sorry I am.

CHARLIE
Leans towards Caroline. Caroline thinks Charlie has somehow come around, but she was just reaching for the packaging tape on the window sill behind her. Charlie avoids eye contact, and busies herself packing a box.

CAROLINE
Are you moving to a new flat?

CHARLIE
I’m moving back to Manchester.

CAROLINE
Manchester? Charlie, please don’t leave me.

CHARLIE
My old team needs me.

CAROLINE
I need you.

Charlie takes that in, but she has difficulty processing her emotions at the moment.

CHARLIE
I’m afraid you’re too late, Caroline. (regretful)

CAROLINE
The story of my life.

CHARLIE
(dolefully looks at Caroline) I’m sorry…(resumes packing the box on the floor) I’ve still got a thousand and million one things to do.

CAROLINE
(dejected) I’ll leave you be.

Caroline makes her way to the door. She turns to look at Charlie one more time, but Charlie has her back turned. The door closes shut. Charlie looks at the door, feeling absolutely torn, tears well up her eyes. A dispirited Caroline walks back to her car with a familiar sadness.

CELIA AND ALAN’S HOUSE, DRIVEWAY. AFTERNOON.

Gillian and Celia are in Celia’s driveway. Celia is in a wheelchair. Gillian starts pushing Celia’s wheelchair.

CELIA
Why do we have to go outside?

GILLIAN
It’s good for you. Get some color on your skin.

CELIA
Where’s our Caroline anyway?

GILLIAN
She has gone to win back Charlie.

CELIA
I knew she’d break that poor girl’s heart.

Gillian takes that in, but says nothing. Gillian and Celia are on the street. Gillian continues to push the wheelchair.

GILLIAN
See how lovely it is today?

CELIA
How’re we getting back?

GILLIAN
The same way we left.

CELIA
How’re you going to push me uphill?

GILLIAN
Let me worry about that, Celia.

CELIA
Do you even know how to operate this wheelchair?

GILLIAN
Operate? You just push it.

CELIA
There are guidelines. My feet should be always be on the footrests. Do you know where the brakes are?

GILLIAN
They’re right on the handles. They’re hard to miss.

CELIA
There’s a whole section on negotiating curbs.

GILLIAN
Curbs? (mumbles) How about annoying patients?

CELIA
Didn’t you read the safety tips Caroline printed? I’ve got a copy. (pulls a paper from her pocket) Here. Read it.

CELIA
Celia hands Gillian the paper. The paper falls on the ground. The wind blows it away. Gillian let goes of the wheelchair and runs after the paper. The wheelchair starts rolling down the steep hill.

CELIA
Gillian!

Celia’s halfway through the steep hill by the time Gillian realizes Celia’s rolling down the hill.

GILLIAN
Oh, God! (puts hands on her head) Celia! (runs after Celia)

Celia surprisingly feels exhilarated.

CELIA
(raises her hands) Whoo!

CUT TO:

BUS, RIPPONDEN. AFTERNOON.

ALAN
Alan is about to alight the bus. He sees something rolling down the hill, but couldn’t make it out.

ALAN
What’s that?

BUS DRIVER
(peering at windshield) It looks like a runaway wheelchair.

ALAN
Alan rushes out of the bus.

ALAN
Celia!

Celia’s wheelchair runs over a seed pod. The wheelchair tilts and flips over. Celia is thrown out of the wheelchair.

CELIA
Aaah!

ALAN
Alan catches Celia’s fall.

ALAN
I’ve got you!

Alan and Celia are on the grass laughing uncontrollably.

To be continued…

0 Comments: