Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.3

For context please be sure to read the previous chapter, Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.2

The full list of this Last Tango in Halifax fan fic episodes can be found in Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction.

One month Later…

CAROLINE’S JAGUAR/SIDE OF ROAD. AFTERNOON.

Caroline is on her way to the wedding of Helen’s cousin. Her mobile rings.

CAROLINE
Hello?

JOHN
Caroline! Lawrence told me you have a flat.

CAROLINE
Yes, yes.

JOHN
Where are you? I can change the wheel.

CAROLINE
That won’t be necessary.

JOHN
Not that you can’t. You did a marvelous job at Gillian’s wedding.

CAROLINE
I’ve rung road assistance. I’ve learned my lesson.

JOHN
Oh, I wish you hadn’t. You could’ve rung me.

CAROLINE
You?

JOHN
Who’s taking care of Flora, since you’re away? Gillian?

CAROLINE
Flora’s with me mum. Gillian’s at a sheep fair. Teaching a class!

JOHN
Really?

John considers asking more about Gillian’s new endeavor, but relents. He must focus on Caroline.

CAROLINE
What’s up with all these questions?

JOHN
I’m just trying to be...

CAROLINE
Oh, the mechanic’s here. I’ve got to go. (she hangs up)

JOHN
Useful.

SHEEP FAIR. AFTERNOON.

Gillian’s in a tent wrapping up her class at the sheep fair.

GILIAN
...before you leave them make sure the sheep are calm and settled. This is very important.

Gillian looks at her watch. (It’s definitely not Longines.)

GILIAN
Okay, we’ve got time for one more question.

STUDENT
I plan to enter my ewe at next year’s show.

GILIAN
Good for “ewe”!

Gillian chortles. No one else does.

GILIAN
“Ewe”...you. Get it?

Crickets.

GILIAN
Tough crowd.

STUDENT
What do judges look for in ewes?

GILIAN
Ah, good question! What do judges look for in ewes? Her mouth and udder (stifles a laugh) are of particular importance (snickers) for suckling... (is turning red) the lambs.

The student writes intently on his notebook. Some of her students look at her sternly. Gillian clears her throat.

GILIAN
That’s all folks!

Gillian leaves the tent laughing her heart out. Raff comes over excited.

RAFF
Mum! Look who I’ve met! It’s dad’s friend, Alison. She has just returned from Australia.

Gillian’s no longer laughing. She looks concerned.

HELEN’S COUSIN’S BACKYARD. LATE AFTERNOON.

Caroline arrives at the wedding reception of Helen’s cousin. Helen welcomes her.

CAROLINE
I’m so sorry I missed the ceremony. I got a flat, and got stuck in traffic.

HELEN
Oh don’t worry about it. I’m glad you still came.

Helen leads Caroline to the backyard. Ruth is waving at Caroline.

CAROLINE
I didn’t know you’re friends with Ruth.

HELEN
I’m not. She invited herself.

RUTH
(mouths) I’ve saved you a seat.

Ruth points at the seat beside her. Caroline notices the two other people at the table who aren’t her staff.

CAROLINE
Are those two?

HELEN
Charlie and Mike! The paramedics who treated me. They’ve been wonderful. I became hysterical in the ambulance, you know?

CAROLINE
Did you?

Caroline and Helen arrive at the table.

HELEN
Mike and Charlie, d’you remember Caroline?

CAROLINE
How d’you do?

Caroline shakes Mike’s hand then Charlie’s. Ruth notices Caroline looks enthralled with Charlie; she has the same look she had with her before the incident at Caroline’s house. Caroline takes a seat.

Caroline go way back.

HELEN
Oh yeah?

MIKE
Yeah, Charlie and I treated her at the disco.

Caroline wishes he hadn’t said that, and hopes the rest of her staff at the table hadn’t heard.

HELEN
Did you?

Charlie notices Caroline’s embarrassment. She changes the subject.

CHARLIE
Helen, would you mind introducing us to the grooms later? We haven’t congratulated them.

HELEN
Oh yes!

Helen looks at the top table.

HELEN
Oh, they’re not at their table. Let me go look for them.

Caroline looks even more enamored with Charlie. Ruth regrets saving the seat beside Charlie.

ALAN AND CELIA’S HOUSE. LATE AFTERNOON.

Ellie is cradling her newborn while chatting with Alan and Celia in the dining room. Flora and Calamity are in the living room.

ELLIE
Thanks for inviting us over.

ALAN
Oh, it’s nowt.

CELIA
You need help especially with Raff and Gillian at the sheep show. Are you getting sleep?

ELLIE
Barely.

CELIA
I remember Caroline when she had Lawrence. She was a mess.

ALAN
Really?

ELLIE
Caroline? I’d never have thought that. She always seems composed.

CELIA
She’s good at hiding things. She was overwhelmed. Don’t tell her I told you.

Alan acts zipping his mouth.

ELLIE
You’d think it’ll be easier with the second one, but no.

ALAN
How’s Calamity taking it?

ELLIE
She keeps asking when we’re returning him to t’hospital.

Alan and Celia laugh.

CELIA
Does she really?

ALAN
That kid makes me laugh like a drain.

ELLIE
She sure is funny when she’s not misbehavin’. It must be nice to have a nanny.

CELIA
That’d be grand.

ELLIE
Someone to do the endless laundry. Gillian’s been wonderful though.

ALAN
Good to hear it.

CELIA
How are you and Raff getting by?

ELLIE
You mean scraping by?

ALAN
You’re up for a promotion. You’d be me manager soon.

ELLIE
Oh! You didn’t hear?

ALAN
What?

ELLIE
Kevin got t’job.

ALAN
Kevin? He’s an idiot!

ELLIE
They needed someone right away. And with me on maternity leave...

CELIA
Bad luck.

ALAN
Is that Legal?

HELEN’S COUSIN’S BACKYARD. EARLY EVENING.

Everyone at the table is on the dance floor except for Ruth, Caroline, and Charlie. Ruth addresses Caroline and Charlie.

RUTH
So you two met at a disco?

CHARLIE
Summat like that.

CAROLINE
She treated my hands.

RUTH
So that’s where you got your injury. What happened?

CAROLINE
It’s a long story.

Ruth addresses Charlie.

RUTH
I suppose you’re also the one who treated Helen.

CHARLIE
Yes. Me and Mike.

RUTH
Aren’t you going to dance with your friend?

CHARLIE
Mike? His dance card’s full.

The three look at Mike. He’s dancing with four women. Ruth addresses Caroline.

RUTH
Caroline, would you like to dance with me?

A guest approaches them before Caroline could answer.

CAROLINE (to the guest)
Can we help you with something?

GUEST
Yes, Helen said someone at this table owns the mint Beetle. I think Ruth’s her name.

Ruth is annoyed at the interruption.

RUTH
Yes, that’d be mine.

GUEST
Would you mind moving it? It’s double parked and I need to leave.

RUTH
Now?

GUEST
Yes. I’m on call this evening. I’m already running late.

Ruth is visibly peeved. She leaves with the guest. There’s an awkward silence between Caroline and Charlie. Caroline is feeling guilty for not calling Charlie, and Charlie is embarrassed at having been rejected.

CHARLIE
So you’re a headteacher.

CAROLINE
Yes. That I am.

CHARLIE
At a state school too. That’s noble.

Caroline blushes.

CAROLINE
That’s rich! Coming from a paramedic. What made you get into that field?

CHARLIE
It’s me mum.

CAROLINE
Is she a paramedic too?

CHARLIE
No, she’s not a paramedic.

CAROLINE
She must be so proud of you.

CHARLIE
I wouldn’t know. She died when I was 12. (pensive) Traffic accident.

CAROLINE
Oh, God. I’m so sorry.

Caroline looks sympathetically at Charlie. She unconsciously puts her hand over Charlie’s hand.

CHARLIE
She’s the reason why I became a paramedic. It was a multi-vehicle accident. They didn’t have enough emergency services on scene.

Caroline squeezes Charlie’s hand. Both realize it. Caroline snatches her hand away. Helen Arrives.

HELEN
Charlie. Caroline. Come! I’ll introduce you to Ryan and his boyfr...husband.

Caroline leaps from her seat relieved at the interruption. She and Charlie follow Helen to the top table.

HELEN
Ryan. Anthony. These are my heroines.

CAROLINE
Oh, she is. (she points at Charlie) Not me.

HELEN
You both saved me from that horrendous dress. (she nods her head at one of the women in the wedding entourage)

Caroline and Charlie (to the grooms): Congratulations!

They shake the grooms’ hands.

ANTHONY
Oh my God! It’s Caroline from the video!

RYAN
Oh my God! We’re such a fan! Where’s Barb?

HELEN
I’ve told you she and Barb are not an item.

RYAN
Oh, right. Right. Senior moment.

Ryan laughs flamboyantly. December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night) starts playing.

ANTHONY and RYAN
Oh...my...God, it’s our song!

VOCALIST
May we request everyone to go to the dance floor.

Guests are ushered to the dance floor including Caroline and Charlie. Caroline looks for a way out, but finds none. She’s face-to-face with Charlie. Charlie starts to dance, and she turns out to be a fine dancer. Charlie takes Caroline’s hand and leads her.

VOCALIST (sings)
Sweet surrender, what a night…

Caroline starts dancing, and is surprisingly enjoying it.

WEDDING ENTOURAGE (sings all at once)
Seemed so wrong, but now it seems so right!

Ruth, the only one not on the dance floor, watches Caroline and Charlie. She’s seething with envy. She decides to leave the party.

The music ends. Caroline and Charlie are overjoyed. A ballad ensues. Caroline and Charlie gaze at each other.

CAROLINE
You’re very beautiful.

CHARLIE
You’re glorious.

Caroline and Charlie start swaying.

VOCALIST (sings)
Tonight you’re mine completely...

Caroline realizes it’s the same song she and Kate danced to at Celia and Alan’s wedding. Caroline pushes Charlie away.

CAROLINE
Sorry...

CHARLIE
Did I do something wrong?

Caroline could barely look at Charlie.

CAROLINE
I have to leave. (she rushes out of the dance floor)

CHARLIE
Caroline!

Charlie follows, but Anthony with teenage brother in tow blocks her.

ANTHONY
Charlie! This here is my brother, Andy. He has been wanting to dance with you, but is too shy to ask.

CHARLIE
Oh.

Charlie looks on and sees Caroline taking leave of Helen and Ryan.

RYAN (shouts from afar)
Anthony! Caroline’s leaving!

CAROLINE
(shouts from afar) Congratulations! And thank you!

ANTHONY
(shouts from afar) Bye! (waves exuberantly, blows a kiss)

Caroline waves at Anthony. She sees Charlie who Andy had earlier inadvertently blocked from view. Caroline hurriedly leaves.

ANTHONY
So, will you dance with Andy?

CHARLIE
Sure, why not?

ALAN & CELIA’S HOUSE. EVENING.

Caroline arrives at Alan and Celia’s house, and rings the doorbell.

CELIA
Caroline! Back already?

CAROLINE
Hi, Mum.

CELIA
Is everything all right?

CAROLINE
Yes. Yes. (lies through gritted teeth) I’m just tired, and left early.

Alan is returning to the living room from the kitchen.

ALAN
Hiya, Caroline. Did you have fun at t’wedding?

CAROLINE
Oh yes, I did.

Alan smiles. He is genuinely happy to see Caroline having fun again.

CAROLINE
Where’s Flora?

CELIA
Oh, she’s gone to bed.

CAROLINE
Is she ill?

CELIA
Oh no. She just had too much fun with her and Calamity running around all day.

CAROLINE
Calamity is here as well?

CELIA
She went home.

ALAN
We invited Ellie and the children over, since Gillian and Raff were at the sheep show.

CAROLINE
Right. How is Ellie?

ALAN
Hanging in there.

Celia and Caroline make their way to the guest room where Flora is sleeping. They stand in the doorway and watch Flora sleep.

CELIA
Summat’s up. I can tell. What’s wrong, Caroline?

Caroline begins to cry into Celia’s shoulder.

CELIA
What’s happened?

CAROLINE
Oh, it’s silly. I was dancing with someone at the wedding.

CELIA
You were dancing? You met someone?

CAROLINE
Then the song at your wedding.

CELIA
Arrival of the Queen of Sheba?

CAROLINE
No, not that. The one Kate and I danced to. D’you remember?

CELIA
Oh that. How could I forget? You started snogging in front of everybody.

CAROLINE
I was surprised you didn’t throw a fit.

CELIA
I was happy that day. Nothing could’ve upset me. So, you were dancing with someone...

CAROLINE
Yes, I was dancing with Charlie then the song started playing. I felt like I was cheating on Kate.

Caroline sobs into Celia’s shoulder again. Alan is making his way to the bedroom, but sees Caroline crying.

ALAN
(mouthing to Celia from afar) Is she all right?

Celia nods in the affirmative and shoos him away. Alan signals he understands, and returns to the living room.

CELIA
Oh, Caroline. You should know better than that. Kate was a kind soul. She thought the world of you. She’d want you to be happy.

CAROLINE
I know.

Caroline’s heartened her mum has come to appreciate Kate.

CELIA
Why don’t you stay here tonight? You can borrow my knickers.

Caroline laughs through the tears.

CAROLINE
Oh, Mum! (hugs Celia tightly, clears throat, wipes tears) Thank you, but I’ll be all right. Is it okay if I leave Flora here tonight?

CELIA
Of course!

CAROLINE
I’ll pick her up for school in the morning.

ALAN AND CELIA’S HOUSE, BEDROOM. EVENING.

Celia and Alan are preparing for bed.

CELIA
Our Caroline’s no longer a lesbian. (there’s a twinkle in her eye)

ALAN
What made you say that?

CELIA
She’s been dancing with a bloke.

ALAN
It could’ve been a random bloke at t’wedding. Maybe she was just being polite.

CELIA
But it’s the reason she was upset.

ALAN
Oh?

CELIA
She said it felt like she was cheating on Kate.

ALAN
Poor Caroline.

Read continuation in the next Last Tango in Halifax fan fiction episode: Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.4

0 Comments: