Sunday, November 27, 2022

Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.4

For context please be sure to read the previous chapter, Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.3

The full list of this Last Tango in Halifax fan fic episodes can be found in Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction.

CAROLINE’S HOUSE, BEDROOM. MORNING.

Caroline wakes from her sleep. She finds Kate sitting up beside her. She smiles then realizes Kate is beside her.

CAROLINE (startled)
Kate!

KATE
Good morning.

CAROLINE
You’re...alive.

KATE
Erm...why wouldn’t I be?

CAROLINE
You...you...

KATE
Did you have a nightmare?

CAROLINE
A nightmare.

Caroline is utterly confused as one could imagine, but she doesn’t want to overthink it either.

CAROLINE
It was just a nightmare.

Kate leans in to kiss her.

CAROLINE (demurs)
I’ve got morning breath.

KATE
I don’t care. Haven’t minded in the past five years.

Caroline smiles. They start kissing.

CAROLINE
We’ve been married five years?

KATE
Yes...did you hit your head?

CAROLINE
No...

Caroline feels her head.
CAROLINE
I don’t think so. It’s just that...it doesn’t matter. You’re here now.

KATE
I’ve never left.

For once in her life, Caroline is allowing herself to enjoy the moment. She smiles. Her joy is inexpressible.

CAROLINE
Do you hear that?

KATE
What?

CAROLINE
That sound.

KATE
What sound?

CAROLINE
That beeping...like an alar...

Caroline wakes up from her dream. She turns off the alarm. An overwhelming sadness overcomes her.

CINEMA. MID-MORNING.

Alan and Celia are sitting in an empty cinema.

ALAN
This is nice.

CELIA
Aren’t you glad you took the day off the supermarket?

ALAN
Yes, I’m glad.

Alan and Celia kiss briefly. Alan resumes munching on popcorn and drinking his soda.

CELIA
You’ll finish those before the movie even starts.

ALAN
Then I’ll buy another one.

CELIA
But you’ll miss the movie.

Alan drinks from his almost empty tumbler of soda. It makes a slurping sound.

CELIA
Or wet yourself.

ALAN
Wet myself?

Alan yells.
ALAN
“We’re going up the train to incontinence!”

CELIA
Shhhh...

ALAN
There’s no one here.

CELIA
Who are you, and what have you done to me Alan?

Celia looks mesmerizingly at Alan.
ALAN
I’m just happy.

CELIA
Happy playing hooky with me?

ALAN
Yes...and I’m happy...being married to you.

Alan smiles at Celia. They start kissing. A loud female pensioner (she’s hard of hearing) arrives along with two of her female pensioner friends. Alan and Celia stop kissing. The three sit in the row in front of them.

CELIA
(whispering to Alan) Now why do they have to sit there? There are plenty of empty seats.

The previews start.

PENSIONER #1
(speaks loudly) Do you remember Julie?

PENSIONER #2
Shhh!

Pensioner #1 ignores Pensioner #2.

PENSIONER #3
Which Julie?

PENSIONER #2
Ladies, the previews have started.

PENSIONER #1
(whispers, but not really) The one from the book club.

PENSIONER #3
What about her?

PENSIONER #1
(speaks loudly) Would you believe she’s gay!

PENSIONER #2
Shhh!

PENSIONER #3
You don’t say?

PENSIONER #1 (speaks loudly)
And she has kids!

PENSIONER #2
Poor kids.

PENSIONER #3
Poor husband.

Even Celia cringed at the last remark.

ALAN (whispers to Celia)
Who do they remind you of?

CELIA
I hope you’re not implying me.

ALAN
You could be one of them if you’re not careful.

CELIA
I’m glad you don’t think I’m one of them now.

ALAN
You’ve made progress.

CELIA
Thanks to you. Am I glad you married me.

Celia and Alan kiss. They hold hands. They are both smiling, immensely pleased to have each other.

FAR SLACK FARM. NOON.

Ellie is in the living room keeping watch of her newborn while folding laundry. There’s a knock on the door. She goes to answer it.

ALISON
Hi! I’m Alison. You must be Ellie.

ELLIE
Yes. How can I help you?

ALISON
I’ve met Raff. I’m a friend of his dad, Eddie. Is Gillian around?

ELLIE
She’s at the farm. She should be back soon.

The Landrover pulls over into the yard. Gillian alights and sees Ellie speaking with a woman at the front door.
ELLIE
Here she is now.

Ellie’s newborn starts crying.
ELLIE
Sorry, I have to attend to my newborn.

Ellie runs to the living room. Gillian realizes the woman is Alison. She becomes nervous.
GILLIAN
Oi!

Alison walks over to Gillian chewing gum. Gillian always thought Alison looks like a goat, since she’s always chewing gum. She waits until Alison is far enough from the house before speaking to her. Ellie watches surreptitiously from the living room window. She’s unable to hear the conversation.

GILLIAN
What d’you want?

ALISON
I just learned you married Robbie, and he left you.

GILLIAN
What about it?

ALISON
Aren’t you biblical? You kill your husband then marry his brother.

GILLIAN
I didn’t kill Eddie.

ALISON
That’s not what everybody says.

GILLIAN
Who’s everybody?

ALISON
Everybody...coppers.

GILLIAN
Robbie was a copper, and he still married me.

ALISON
You seduced him.

Gillian scoffs.
ALISON
He always had a soft spot for you even after you dumped him and married his brother. You know, Eddie always said, “One day she’s gonna kill me.”

GILLIAN
Oh yeah? Was that part of your pillow talk?

Alison is surprised by Gillian’s remark.
GILLIAN
That’s right. I knew about you two.

ALISON
Some day the truth of what you’ve done will come out, and everybody will know you killed him.

GILLIAN
Well, good luck with that, because I didn’t kill him! (throws hands in air)

Alison boards her truck and leaves.

CALAMITY & FLORA’S SCHOOL. AFTERNOON.

Gillian arrives at Calamity and Flora’s school to fetch Calamity. She parks the Landrover, and walks to the schoolyard.

GILLIAN
Caroline!

Caroline looks at Gillian and smiles. Gillian continues to walk towards her.

GILLIAN
Busy day? You haven’t been answering your phone.

Gillian was about to tell her about Alison, but notices a sadness in Caroline’s eyes.

GILLIAN
Did you dance with Ruth at t’wedding?

CAROLINE
How did you know she was there?

GILLIAN
I assumed.

CAROLINE
No, I didn’t dance with Ruth. I danced with Charlie.
(she doesn’t know why she blurted that, and quite proudly too)

GILLIAN (eyes wide, mouth agape)
You did?! She was there too? Good on you!

Gillian puts her arm around Caroline and gives her a big squeeze.

CAROLINE
Helen invited her and Mike, your Adonis incarnate.
Ostensibly, they were wonderful in the ambulance.

GILLIAN
I bet they were. Adonis...Mike was there too?
Now, I really wish I was there.

CAROLINE
You were my plus one. How was the sheep class?

GILLIAN
Don’t change the subject! So, are you going to see her again?

CAROLINE
No. I doubt she’ll even speak to me.

GILLIAN
Why? What happened?

CAROLINE
I left her on the dance floor.

GILLIAN
You knob! Why’d you do that?

CAROLINE
Well...we were dancing...then the song Kate and I danced to at me mum’s wedding started playing.

GILLIAN
Oh.

CAROLINE
I felt like I was cheating on Kate. Then this morning, I dreamt she was still alive.

Tears well up in Caroline’s eyes. She bats them away. She doesn’t want to cry in public.

CAROLINE
That dream must’ve been a manifestation of my guilt.

GILLIAN
You’re being silly. Kate was selfless. She’d want you to find someone else. She’d want you to be happy...not feel guilty.

CAROLINE
That’s also what me mum said.

GILLIAN
For once I’d agree with Celia. Do you fancy her?

CAROLINE
Yes! Yes, I fancy Charlie. There I’ve said it.

GILLIAN
Why won’t you call her and ask her on a date? Tell her to bring Magic Mike. We can do a double date! (excited smile)

CAROLINE
Yeah, like that’s happening.

The school bell rings. Children rush out of the school. Calamity and Flora see Gillian and Caroline. They run towards them. A team of paramedics exit the school. They linger at the entrance chatting with the headteacher. Calamity and Flora hug Gillian and Caroline.

GILLIAN
Calamity, why are there paramedics at your school? Did something happen?

CALAMITY
Don’t be daft!

GILLIAN
Watch your language!

Calamity puts her hand over her mouth.

CALAMITY
Sorry! They were here for the Community Helpers day.

FLORA
Their heroism is inspiring.

Calamity and Flora run around chasing each other.

GILLIAN
Is that Magic Mike? And that’s Charlie!

Gillian has a big smile on her face.

GILLIAN (shouts)
Charlie! Mike!

CAROLINE
What are you doing?

GILLIAN
What d’you think I’m doing?

CAROLINE
I’m not gonna be part of this. Flora!

Caroline turns her back and starts walking away. Gillian grabs her wrist in a tight grip.

GILLIAN
Oi! Where d’you think you’re going?

CAROLINE
Let go!
(she struggles to pull away.)

GILLIAN
Don’t make me wrangle you like a sheep.
(shouts) Oi! Charlie! Mike!

One of the paramedics hears Gillian.

MALE PARAMEDIC
Mike, that mum’s calling you. D’you know her?

MIKE
(looking at Gillian) She looks familiar.

MALE PARAMEDIC
It could be one of your admirers.

Gillian continues to shout and wave.

MIKE
I’d better go there then before she makes a scene.

GILLIAN
Mike! Charlie!

Charlie finally hears Gillian. She looks her way just as Caroline turns around. Charlie follows Mike.

MIKE
Hiya! (he recognizes Caroline) Caroline!

CAROLINE
Hi Mike.

Charlie arrives.

GILLIAN
Hi, I’m Gillian. I was at the disco with her.

CHARLIE
Yes, I remember. You’re Caroline’s stepsister.

GILLIAN
Yes! Caroline and I want to invite you two out for dinner...

Caroline gives Gillian a look of disbelief.

GILLIAN
To thank you for your service.

MIKE
Oh that won’t be necessary. It’s our job...and it’d be unethical for us to accept payment from patients.

CHARLIE
We can pay for our meal.

GILLIAN
Great! (big smile) How’s this Saturday around 7:00?

MIKE
Oh, we’re working that night.

CHARLIE
But we’re off this Friday.

GILLIAN
Fantastic! It’s a date then.

Charlie looks at Caroline.

CHARLIE
Yes, a date.

Caroline turns red.

Read continuation in the next Last Tango in Halifax fan fiction episode: Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.5

0 Comments: