Thursday, January 6, 2022

Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.1

One of the members of Last Tango in Halifax Super Fan Club had the brilliant idea of asking fans to continue the scene from Caroline and Gillian’s evening at the Hebden Women’s Disco.  Here’s my version of the story.  Happy reading!

The full list of this Last Tango in Halifax fan fic episodes can be found in Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction.

HEBDEN WOMEN’S DISCO.  EVENING.

Gillian and Caroline are at Hebden Women’s Disco drinking and people watching.

GILLIAN
Bloody hell, that’s Raff’s infant school teacher!
Mrs...Oh, er...Thing.

GILLIAN recognizes another familiar face.

GILLIAN
And she works in the chop shop on Ripponden! And that’s Raff’s primary school headteacher, Mrs. Wilson. Jesus, they’re everywhere.

GILLIAN starts to wave.

CAROLINE
Don’t do that!

GILLIAN
She’s waving at me. I’m just being polite.

MRS. WILSON a vivacious middle-aged woman starts making her way to GILLIAN and CAROLINE’s table.

CAROLINE
Oh God. Now look what you’ve done.

GILLIAN
You’re a headteacher. She’s a headteacher.
You two could hit it off! You can thank me later.

CAROLINE glares at GILLIAN.

GILLIAN
Think of all the headteacher stuff you can talk about.
Uniforms, curriculum, curricula? Inspectorate reports.
What do headteachers talk about?

CAROLINE’s starting to smile.  “The Hustle” starts to play, and bubbly, free-spirited MRS. WILSON “Hustles” her way towards them.

CAROLINE
Jesus [Christ] - !

GILLIAN
This could be fun! When was the last time you had fun?

CAROLINE and GILLIAN burst out laughing.  MRS. WILSON makes one last gyration before finally arriving at CAROLINE and GILLIAN’s table.

MRS. WILSON
Fancy meeting you here, Gillian.

GILLIAN
Mrs. Wilson...

MRS. WILSON
Oh call me Barb! And you are...

MRS. WILSON looks adoringly at CAROLINE.

CAROLINE
I’m Caroline. How d’you do?

MRS. WILSON
Just smashing! How d’you two know each other?

GILLIAN
Caroline is my stepsister.

MRS. WILSON
Oh is she? I thought you two are together.

CAROLINE and GILLIAN guffaw.

GILLIAN
That would be incestuous. Wouldn’t it?

CAROLINE
I would believe so. But you’re not the first one to make that mistake, Mrs...,er...Barb.

The three of them laugh.

MRS. WILSON
I thought it’s a half-brother you’ve got.

GILLIAN
Oh, you know about that?

MRS. WILSON
It was in the Courier.

GILLIAN
Right. Yeah, I have a half-brother. Caroline’s my stepmother’s daughter. Incidentally, our Caroline is a headteacher as well.

MRS. WILSON
You’re kidding!

“Night Fever” starts to play. MRS. WILSON knows all the steps, and starts dancing.

MRS. WILSON
Caroline, come dance with me.

CAROLINE
Noooooo.

CAROLINE giggles.

MRS. WILSON
You can’t go to a disco and not dance. It’s kind of...voyeuristic.

GILLIAN
Go on, Caroline. Dance with her.

CAROLINE
No. I’d make a fool of myself.

GILLIAN
Be bold, and mighty forces will come to your aid.

CAROLINE
Blimey. She’s quoting Basil King.
You’re spending too much time with me.

GILLIAN
Basil King? It’s from Almost Famous.

MRS. WILSON
Caroline, you’re breaking my heart.

CAROLINE
Is that from something?

MRS. WILSON
No, it’s a Barb original. Please dance with me.

CAROLINE
I don’t want to be uncharitable.
(A moment of consideration not wanting to displease Mrs. Wilson, but her fear of embarrassment prevails.)
You’re such a fantastic dancer. You can dance for the three of us.

CAROLINE gives her an ingratiating smile.

MRS. WILSON
I do love to dance. I’m glad they still play disco music here.
Not that I mind dancing to Lizzo.

CAROLINE
Liz who?

MRS. WILSON
You’re funny.

CAROLINE looks at her blankly.

MRS. WILSON
You really haven’t heard of Lizzo?

MRS. WILSON starts to sing and dance to Lizzo’s Good As Hell. CAROLINE and GILLIAN watch with amusement.

MRS. WILSON
I do my hair toss, check my nails, baby how you feelin'?
Feeling good as hell...Hair toss...

MRS. WILSON takes a step back tosses her hair. She bumps into a waiter carrying a cake with sparklers.

GILLIAN
CAROLINE’s more into The Queen of Sheba.

CAROLINE
Arrival of The Queen of Sheba. And that’s me mum, not me!

CAROLINE and GILLIAN resume watching MRS. WILSON.

CAROLINE
Oh, shit! Your hair’s on fire!

MRS. WILSON
No shit! I’m on fire tonight!

MRS. WILSON continues dancing.

GILLIAN
No, your hair’s on fire!

Someone at the next table shrieks. MRS. WILSON just now realizes her hair is on fire.

CAROLINE
Gillian! Dial 999 now!

Someone throws a glass of water at MRS. WILSON, but it does nothing other than get her wet. CAROLINE tackles a panicked MRS. WILSON to the ground. Smothers MRS. WILSON’s head with her wool scarf, and rolls her over and over smothering the flames.  GILLIAN stands over CAROLINE and the dazed MRS. WILSON.

GILLIAN
Are you all right? The ambulance is on its way. It’s coming.

CAROLINE gets up and helps MRS. WILSON up the floor. CAROLINE winces as she realizes she burned her hand.

MRS. WILSON
You saved my life.

CAROLINE
No, just your hair. Well, most of it.

GILLIAN
Did I tell you she’s a doctor too?

CAROLINE
Doctor of Philosophy. You pillo...

MRS. WILSON gives CAROLINE a big wet kiss on the mouth. The ladies in the Hebden Women’s Disco applaud.  An attractive pair of paramedics arrives.  One you could easily mistake for strippers; a detail not lost on GILLIAN.

MALE PARAMEDIC
Who rang an ambulance?

GILLIAN raises her hand with more enthusiasm than she intended.

GILLIAN
I did!

GILLIAN realizes the prepossessing MALE PARAMEDIC is walking towards her. She wishes she has an injury to show him.

GILLIAN
Oh, I’m not the patient. It’s her.

GILLIAN points at MRS. WILSON. The MALE PARAMEDIC and the FEMALE PARAMEDIC make their way to MRS. WILSON.

MALE PARAMEDIC
How are you feeling, love?

MRS. WILSON
Not A-one.

MALE PARAMEDIC
What’s your name?

MRS. WILSON
Barb.

MALE PARAMEDIC
Barb, is it okay if we take a look at you?

MRS. WILSON nods. Both paramedics examine Mrs. Wilson’s injuries.

MRS. WILSON
Caroline burned her hand saving me.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
Who’s CAROLINE?

MRS. WILSON points at CAROLINE. The FEMALE PARAMEDIC goes to her.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
Are you Caroline?

CAROLINE
Yes.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
Let’s take a look at your hands.

The FEMALE PARAMEDIC assesses CAROLINE’s injuries.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
We’ll need to take off your ring. Is that okay, love?
It could cut off circulation in your fingers when your burns swell.

CAROLINE hesitates slightly as the FEMALE PARAMEDIC gingerly removes her wedding ring.  She takes comfort in the FEMALE PARAMEDIC’s care and compassion.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
It will just be until your wounds heal. I’m sure your wife won’t mind.

The FEMALE PARAMEDIC hands CAROLINE’s wedding ring to GILLIAN.

GILLIAN
Oh, I’m not her wife. I’m her stepsister.

CAROLINE
My wife’s dead.

The FEMALE PARAMEDIC looks at her full of empathy, sympathetic even.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
I’m so sorry for your loss.

CAROLINE
Me too (pensive)...How is she? Barb.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
She’s still in shock, and she has some full-thickness burns
But she’ll be fine. How did you burn your hands?

CAROLINE
I helped put out the flames.

GILLIAN
She’s being modest. Fast-acting Caroline single-handedly smothered the flames with her scarf, and rolled Barb over and over until the flames were extinguished.

CAROLINE
Fast-acting. I sound like an antacid.

The FEMALE PARAMEDIC laughs as she dresses CAROLINE’s injury.

FEMALE PARAMEDIC
Good presence of mind, Caroline.

GILLIAN
Yeah, how did you know what to do?

CAROLINE
It’s in one of the workshop sessions at the last headteacher conference.

CAROLINE and GILLIAN bubble with mirth at the recollection of their earlier conversation about headteachers.

Read continuation in the next Last Tango in Halifax fan fiction episode: Gillian and Caroline Go to Hebden Women’s Disco – Last Tango in Halifax Fan Fiction 1.2

0 Comments: